serve for 8
INGREDIENTS: ts = teaspoon tbsp = tablespoon
For the Chicken
4 chicken breast
3 cloves garlic
20cl Chicken juice (made with dehydrated organic tablets)
Mixes herbs (thyme, bay leaf, rosemary)
For the Piperade:
200 g ham, chopped
1 kg onions (yellow), thinly sliced
1 kg green sweet pepper, thinly sliced
2 kg tomatoes coarsely chopped
2 c loves garlic, finely chopped
4 tbsp Olive oil
“Piment d’Espelette” or Cayenne Pepper
1 can pimientos del piquillo
served with 1 pack of Polenta (500gr)
Preparations for the Piperade
- Greens sweet peppers. After washing them, you have two options :
First option (the quickest): Cut them in half lengthwise, seed them and cut each half into two or three pieces depending on their length.
Second option (the longest but for me the best):
- Preheat the grill of your oven.
- Cut your peppers in half lengthwise at the stem
- Remove the stems
- Place the pepper halves cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Place them about 10cm under the grill. After about 10 minutes, the skin will start to blister and blacken. When they are evenly blackened and blistered, remove from oven.
- Using tongs, wrap the peppers with plastic foil. Set aside
- After 15 to 20 minutes, peel off the peppers and cut each half into two or three pieces depending on their length
- Tomatoes: Just make an X on the bottom of your tomatoes and throw them into a pot of boiling water for no more than a minute. Fish them out with a slotted spoon, plunge them into a bowl of cold water (or an ice bath), lift them directly back out, and peel back the skin with a knife or your fingers, then cut into large pieces.
- Onions and Garlic: Peel the onions, cut in 2, remove the germ and slice them. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Ham & Pimientos del Piquillo : Cut the piece of ham into bacon pieces. Cut the pimientos Del Piquillo into strips
Step 2: Make the Piperade
- In a pot, pour 4 tablespoon of olive oil Brown the ham and add the onions and peppers. Leave to melt without colouring them. It is important that the juices attach good. Once the vegetables have melted, pour the tomato pieces and garlic cloves.
- Season with salt and Espelette pepper. Add the bouquet garni and let simmer for 45 minutes. If the tomatoes are not juicy enough, add a little water. However, at the end of cooking, there should be very little liquid left.
- Add the slices of pimientos del piquillo. Mix well and adjust seasoning with salt and Espelette pepper
Step 3: Cook the chicken and simmer the preparation
- Season chicken pieces with salt. In a large pot, pour four-table spoon of olive oil. Add the chicken pieces and cook over medium heat until they are well colored. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot. Deglaze with the chicken juice to detach all the juices. Pour the Piperade. Place chicken pieces and simmer over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until chicken pieces are cooked.
- The more you simmer the preparation, the tastier it will be.
- Enjoy it the next day, it is even better !