250g whole hazelnuts
60g whole hazelnuts
150 gr sugar
100g egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Spread 250g+60g hazelnuts evenly on the baking tray. Slide into the oven and roast for about 15 minutes.
- Put the hot nuts in a sieve. Roll the nuts around to remove the skins. Put 60g nuts into a plastic bag and crush them into little pieces with a rolling pin. put them aside to be used to finish.
- Keep the rest of the nuts warm in the oven with the heat turned off.
- Bring the 40g water to the boil with the 150g sugar, when the syrup reaches 121C, add the warm hazelnuts. Take the mixture of the heat and stir until the sugar resembles sand, then return it to the heat. Allow the nuts to caramelise, stirring constantly until the caramel turns a dark amber colour. Pour them out onto a baking tray and allow the nuts to cool.
- Crush them finely to obtain the caramelised ground hazelnuts.
- Whisk the egg whites to peaks in an electric mixer.
- Meanwhile, bring the 40g water to boil with the 160g sugar. When the sugar reaches 121C, pour it over the egg whites and whisk until the meringue has completely cooled.
- Beat the butter (room temperature) for 5 minutes in the electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment then add the caramelised ground hazelnuts a little at a time. Beat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully add a third of the meringue to the praline mixture then add the rest, stirring delicately.
- Spoon the praline into piping bag and pipe on to half of the shells