INGREDIENTS: Tbsp : Tablespoon Ts : Teaspoon
2 cups ( 250 ml) All-purpose flour ( Hvetmel)
2 tbsp Semolina ( Sooji)
2 ts Yeast
1 ts Sugar
1 ts Salt
3 tbsp Yoghurt
2 tbsp Sunflower oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
Hvetmel ( all purpose flour for rolling)
Sunflower Oil to fry
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Let it sit ten minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add semolina (sooji), sugar, and salt to the all-purpose flour and mix well. Add oil, yogurt, sugar and yeast water mix well. add water as needed to make soft pliable dough
- Cover the dough and keep in a warm place three to four hours. The dough should nearly double in volume
- Knead the dough and divide into 8 equal parts. Shape dough into balls and roll into six- to seven circles. Dust lightly with dry flour to help with the rolling.
- Heat about 1″ of oil in a frying pan on high heat. Batura should be fried in very hot oil. To test, place a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should float to the top and be light in color.
- Place one bhatura in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer it will puff up like a ball. Turn and cook until light creamy brown on both sides. Take the bhatura out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat for the remaining bhaturas.