CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA AND PANEER TIKKA MASALA
INGREDIENTS for the Chicken/ Paneer Tikka :
Each of the 1st and 2nd marinate will be used to marinate the chicken/paneer and the vegetables but separately.
tsp = teaspoon tbsp = tablespoon
- 1 tsp. Garlic paste
- 1 tsp. Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder
- Salt to taste start with ½ tsp
- 100 gr Yoghurt
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ tsp. Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander powder
- 2 tbsp. Ginger – Garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. Mustard oil
- 2 tbsp. Oil ( Sunflower Oil)
- 1 tsp. Ajwain (Thymol) seeds
- 2 tbsp. Garam flour
- Salt to taste start with 1 tsp
Chicken/ Paneer for tikka :
Chicken breast/ Paneer : 1000 gr (cut in cubes)
Vegetables for the tikka:
- 3 Tomatoes (seedless) (cut in cubes same size as chicken)
- 1 Red paprika (cut in cubes same size as chicken)
- 1 Green paprika (cut in cubes same size as chicken
- )2 Red Onions (cut in cubes same size as chicken)
- Skewer sticks (soak in water for 30-45 mins)
- Butter for basting
- Sunflower oil
Ingredients For Sauce (Masala) :
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts ( Boil the cashew nuts in water for approximately 10 mins and make paste after draining the water)
- 2 tbsp Water Melon Seeds (Charmagaz) ( Boil in water for approximately 10 mins and make paste after draining the water)
- 3 medium finely chopped onions
- 2 medium sliced and chopped tomatoes
- Whole Garam Masala: ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf, 2 black cardamoms, 4 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon stick & 4 cloves
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1,5 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste , start with 1 tsp
- 6 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- ¾ cup cream ( Krem Fløte)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
Make powder by grinding 8 green cardamoms, 4 cloves & 1 inch cinnamon stick
PREPARATIONS for the Tikka :
- Cut the chicken/paneer and the vegetables into cubes.
- Marinate the chicken and the vegetables separately with the two marinades.
- In 2 separate bowls, prepare the 1st Marinate one for the chicken/paneer and other for the vegetables.
- Keep for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the sunflower oil and add the Ajwain (thymol seeds) and the gram flour as mentioned under 2nd marinate. Stir it for 2 minutes.
- Prepare this in two portions, one each for chicken and vegetable.
- In a bowl add the yoghurt, the Ajwain-gram flour mixture and the all the ingredients mentioned under the 2nd marinate.
- Whisk them until well combined.
- In 2 separate bowls, prepare the 2nd marinate one for the chicken/paneer and one for the vegetables.
- Keep for 45 min (or overnight for best result).
- Soak the skewer sticks in water for 30-45 minutes.
- Add the chicken and vegetables in an order e.g. chicken-tomato-green paprika-onion-red paprika, then again chicken and follow the pattern. Keep little space in between, so that air can pass through.
- The prepared skewers will be grilled at 220 °C for 15 – 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. For Paneer grill at 200 °C for 15 mins.
- Brush evenly butter or oil on the chicken/paneer and the vegetables and turn on the other side and grill for 10 min again or depending on how far the chicken is cooked.
- This can be served hot with mint chutney or sour cream. We will make the sauce also.
PREPARATIONS for the Masala i.e. the sauce:
- Take a deep pan add sunflower oil. When the oil is hot reduce the heat and put the whole garam masala i.e. all mentioned in point 5 of the ingredients under sauce.
- Sauté for a minute and add the finely chopped onion and sprinkle little salt ( ½ tsp).
- Fry the onion until brown and then add the ginger garlic paste. Sauté for few minutes till the ginger garlic is cooked.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes (till the tomato cooks nicely)
- In a separate bowl add all the dry spices (7+8+9+10+11 ingredients under sauce) with little water to make a paste. Add this to the fried mixture in the pan. Sauté for few minutes till oil leaves from side.
- Add the watermelon seed and cashew nut paste (make it as told above). Sauté till oil leaves from side.
- Add the chicken first from the skew and mix well with the spices. Then add the vegetables. Add warm water as required (depending on the thickness and consistency required about 2-3cups) .
- Add salt after tasting. At this point you can add more Kashmiri chili with respect to how hot you would like it to be.
- Add the cream.
- Boil for 2 minutes. Add the garam masala powder as prepared in the 16th ingredients under sauce.
- Add the finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- Serve it with Basmati rice, roti or naan.