INGREDIENTS: Tbsp : Tablespoon Ts : Teaspoon
Chickpeas 2 cups (200ml cup ) 330 gm soak overnight and will become nearly 5 cups
IN CLASS WE WILL USE BOILED CANNED CHICKPEAS
2 Tea Bag
3 Onions medium
1 ts pomegranate seed ( anar dana)
(Blend the onion and the then add the pomegranate seed and blend again)
5 Green cardamom
2 cinnamon stick ( 1 inch pieces)
4 tbsp Sunflower oil
1 tbsp Garlic paste
1 tbsp Ginger paste
5 tomatoes (puree)
1 ts Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tsp ( adjust as per your preference for hot food)
1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
1 ts Mango powder
1.5 tbsp Chole Masala
Salt to taste ( start with 1 tsp)
2 tbsp Ghee clarified butter
1 ts Ajwain ( carom seeds)
1.5 inch Ginger, cut into nice thin juliennes
1 Green chilli slit remove seeds and cut into juliennes
How to boil the chick peas ( chole)
- In a big bowl soak the chickpeas overnight.
- Then in a pressure cooker boil water with tea bag and 1 tsp salt
- Add the soaked chickpeas and cook the chickpeas
- Reduce the heat to medium and keep for 10 minutes it should boil
- In class we will use boiled chickpeas from the can
- Boil 5 cup water with the two tea bags
- Strain the chickpeas from the can and wash with the cold water
- Then add the chickpeas into the boiled water with tea bag.
Direction for the gravy:
- Add the 4 tbsp oil in deep frying pan.
- Add the whole cardamoms , cinnamon sticks and the cloves when the oil is hot.
- Add the onion blended with the anar dana ( pomegranate seeds). Cook the onion till oil leaves from the onion. ( onion will golden brown)
- Add the ginger and the garlic paste. Cook it.
- Add the tomato puree . Cook the tomato, till oil leaves
- Add the roasted cumin powder, mango powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and the chole masala
- Cook till oil leaves.
- Add the chole and mix well.
add the water . Bring it to boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 15-20 min
- In a separate frying pan add the ghee ( clarified butter). When hot add the carom seed ( ajwain), ginger juliennes and the green chilli juliennes.
- Add the tempering into the cooked chickpeas (chole) and cook for 5-10 minutes.