Sopes are small round cakes of masa. The dough is thicker than that for tortillas and the edge is pinched up to form a small ridge. They are spread with a bean paste and picadillo (ground meat) and topped with more ingredients. Delicious and addictive!
1 ¼ cups tortilla dough.
Oil for food
*See recipe to make corn tortillas in order to make the tortilla dough.
- Divide the masa into 12 balls. Press each ball out (either with your hand or tortilla press) to a thick tortilla, about 9 cm diameter
- Cook on a pan over medium heat for about one minute or until the bottom dough is firm and slightly brown
- Turn the sope over and cook on the second side for about another minute
- Turn it once again, and without trying to burn your fingers, pinch up a small ridge around so that the sauce won’t run off
- Put a little oil on top of the dough and when it starts to fry remove it, and add the rest of the ingredients.