INGREDIENTS: Tbsp : Tablespoon Ts : Teaspoon
1,5 kg skrei (cod) in slices
2 l water
2 Tbsp white vinegar, 7 %
1 dl salt
2 ts whole pepper
1 cod roe
1 l water
2 Tbsp salt
200 g cod liver
1 dl water
1⁄2 ts white vinegar, 7 %
1 bay leaf
Side dish :
1 lemon, cut in slices
- Start by preparing the fish. Cut the belly and remove the thin black membranes inside the abdomen. Remove as well the bladder and the rest of the blood along the spin. You can use a brush to clean the blood easily. Put the slices in a ice-cold running water until you cook them.
The roe usually requires the longest cooking time, depending on the thickness. It is therefore wise to start by cooking it.
- Rinse the roe gently so that the skin around does not break. Remove loose membranes. Wrap it in greaseproof paper or plastic wrap and seal well.
- Boil the water with salt and put the roe in. Bring it to boil, lower the heat and let the roe rest in the water for 20-30 min, depending on the thickness.
- Cook the potatoes.
- Clean the liver and tear it in pieces using your hands. Set aside in a bowl (The liver has membranes outside and inside and the easiest way is to pull them off with the fingers and at the same time tear the liver in pieces manually. Remember to also remove the membranes inside the liver)
- Boil the water for the cod, add the vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and lower the heat. Let the fish rest for about 6-8 min, until it is ready. The fish must not boil.
- Put the liver in a small pot with water, finely chopped onion, vinegar, pepper and bay leaf. Boil and then lower the heat. Let the liver cooking about 2-3 min, until it changes color.
- Check if the cod (skrei) is cooked: the backbone should get loose easily. Remove the bones.
- Take out the slices of fish with a skimmer and put them on a piece of kitchen paper to soak up the water (leave them on the skimmer)
- Serve the fish on warm plates, together with the cooked roe cut in slices, liver and potatoes. Have a slice of lemon on the side.