Serves 4 (4 bowls)
170 gr fish fillets
450 gr fish paste (white ground fish)
130 gr thai red curry paste
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp fish sauce
2 cups coconut milk
⅓ cup coconut milk for topping
2 tsp rice flour
few pieces chopped cabbage per bowl
Few leaves of thai basil per bowl
1-2 strips serrano pepper per bowl
Few leaves of kaffir lime leaves per bowl
- Chop cabbage into small pieces then boil water and add cabbage, once the water is boiling again remove the cabbage and add it to cold water. After a few minutes squeeze the remaining water from the cabbage.
- In the mixing bowl add the curry paste, sugar, beaten egg, fish sauce and fish paste then mix it by hand. Add 2 cups of coconut milk and mix again.
- In a small bowl add cabbages first, basil leaves than mixed paste. Add one piece of fish fillets and add more mixed paste on top.
- Stream the bowls on medium high heat about 30 minutes (if you use oven for steaming – heat it up for 200 degrees and steam for 10-15 min. You can steam in the oven by filling half a tray with water and putting bowls on the tray)
- Make topping: Mix rice flour and the rest of the coconut milk and warm it to medium heat.
- Add the coconut milk as topping in each bowl, together with pepper and kaffir leaves then steam again for 5 minutes.