INGREDIENTS: tsp = teaspoon tbsp = tablespoon
2 cans sweet condensed milk
300 ml krem fløte
8 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp butter
A pinch of salt
Chocolate sprinkles or any other type of sprinkles you like
Paper/foil candy cups.
- Bring the saucepan to the stove and heat it over medium-low heat.
- Cook it, mixing constantly (this is important, otherwise it will burn!) until it thickens.
- A way to know is to run your wooden spoon or “slikkepott” in the middle of the mixture.
- If it takes a while for the mixture to move, then your Brigadeiro is ready!
- Transfer to a greased bowl and reserve to let it cool to room temperature.
- In a plate or bowl, spread your sprinkles.
- Once the Brigadeiro is cool, grease your hands with butter and roll into little balls.
- Roll the balls into the sprinkles and place them in paper/foil candy cups.
Brigadeiro is the most popular sweet in Brazil, it started in 1945 with a political campaign. Shortly after World War II, Brazil was having an electoral campaign for a new President. The candidate was Eduardo Gomes, whose military rank was Brigadeiro. He was very popular amongst women for being good looking and single, so the campaign slogan was: “VOTE PARA O BRIGADEIRO, ELE É BONITO E SOLTEIRO” = “VOTE FOR BRIGADEIRO, HE IS HANDSOME AND SINGLE”. To promote his campaign, parties were organized to raise funds and to give more visibility to the candidate. In these parties they decided to prepare a sweet to be sold to the public, and this sweet was “The Brigadeiro”. So… “Brigadeiro” was born and… he didn’t win the elections.