for the pasta dough
500 g flour type “00”
2 egg yolk
for the stuffing
200 g potatoes (boiled and mashed)
300 g mozzarella
200 g Parma ham
6 dried tomatoes
10 basil leaves
salt and pepper
for the sauce
50 g olive oil
2 garlic cloves
800 g canned tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar
fresh chopped basil
- Peel potatoes, cut in bigger chunks, boil in the water with a pinch of salt until it’s done and mash them. Leave to cool.
- Prepare the egg pasta dough in two batches by mixing flour, eggs and a pinch of salt. Wrap the pasta dough in film and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop the mozzarella and leave it to drain in a strainer.
- Chop the dried tomato, Parma ham and basil thinly.
- Add the chopped mixture to the mozzarella and mashed potatoes, stir well then adjust salt and pepper.
- Using a pasta machine, roll out thin strips of dough of about 8cm width. Place small amount of filling on each strip spacing them evenly.
- Fold the strip and press the dough around the filling, then cut out the ravioli using a pasta cutter. Sprinkle some trays with flour and lay the ravioli on them.
- For the sauce: heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute or until it is golden. Add canned tomatoes and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to boil then simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the sauce is thick. Stir in the chopped basil.
- Boil the ravioli in salted water, drain them “al dente” and toss them with the sauce in a frying pan.