900 g lamb (preferable ribs)
2 medium onions ground to paste
4 tablespoons garlic paste
3 tablespoons ginger paste
4 tablespoons Cashew nuts grounded to paste
8 crushed green Cardamom
3 crushed black Cardamom
10 tablespoons yogurt
5 tablespoons (not sweet) cream
2 teaspoons Mace powder
1 or 2 kept whole Whole Red Chilli, depending on how much hot required
1 or 2 slit Green Chili
salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Saffron
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon (optional) Kewra Water
1/2 cup Ghee
- In a large bowl mix the lamb, yogurt, onion paste, ginger, garlic, cashew paste, powder of green and black cardamoms, mace powder, salt and sugar. Marinade for 1 hour. For best result marinate overnight.
- In a cooking pan heat ghee. Add the lamb pieces shaking off the excess marinade into the bowl. Fry in medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add all the excess marinade and whole red chili (depending on how much hot required). Mix and bring it to boil on full heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 45 to 60 minutes. Make sure not to let the lamb stick to the bottom of the cooking pan by stirring it frequently.
- Cook till the lamb is tender. Add hot water as required so that the lamb does not stick.
- Mix the milk and saffron in a small saucepan and heat for a minute. Add it to the lamb.
- Add cream and slit green chilies to the lamb. Bring it to boil on full heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the Kewra water and simmer for another 10 minutes. This is optional. We will not add this.