INGREDIENTS: tsp = teaspoon tbsp = tablespoon 1 cup = 240 ml
1kg Lamb pieces with bone (medium size 4″” x 4″”)
4,5 tbsp Green Papaya ( natural tenderizer 2 tbsp per pound of meat)
½ ts Salt ( 1/4 tsp per 2 tbsp of green papaya paste)
½ ts Turmeric Powder
½ ts Kashmiri Chilli Powder
100 gr Thick Yoghurt 100
1 Red Onion
2 Garlic cloves
Blend the onion, garlic yoghurt, turmeric and kashmiri red chilli powder
6 Black Peppercorn
2 Black Cardamom
4 Green Cardamom
2 Pieces Cinnamon ( 1 inch each)
400 gr Onion 400, sliced
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1-2 Green Chillies ( remove seed)
3 gr Cumin Powder
3 gr Coriander Powder
3 gr Kashmiri red chilli powder
¼ ts Garam Masala powder
1 ts Salt
1 ts Sugar
1 ts Clarified Butter ( Ghee)
5 tbsp Mustard Oil to cook
- Remove the blood stain from the lamb if any as shown in the class
- Cut slice of the green Papaya. Wash it nicely. Blend to make a paste with the skin. If required add little water. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the 4,5 tbsp of the green papaya paste.
- Add to the cleaned lamb and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Blend the onion, garlic, yoghurt, turmeric and kashmiri red chilli powder. Add this to the lamb and keep for 4-6 hours for best results. In class we can keep for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying vessel (or any deep pan). Add the sugar. Wait to caramalise. Add all the items under “ Tempering’.
- Now add the sliced onion and chopped garlic. Sprinkle the salt.
- Fry the onions till brown. Please do not rush here. Might take 10-15 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste and the chopped green chilies.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder and kashmiri chilli powder with 100 ml water.
- Add this to the fried onion.
- Mix well and add the marinated lamb.
- Mix nicely and cook in medium heat for 15-20 minutes uncovered ( the lamb will turn brownish)
- Add one cup of hot water into the lamb. Mix well, cover and cook on low flame until cooked thoroughly. Keep checking to make sure that the meat don’t stick.
- Add the garam masala powder. Check the salt and add the ghee.
- Serve hot with puri, rice, paratha etc.