INGREDIENTS: Tbsp : Tablespoon Ts : Teaspoon
1 kg Prawns
1 Medium onion
10-15 Cloves garlic
1 tbsp Ginger
1 Medium tomato
1 ts Whole cumin seeds
1 Bay leaf
1 Dry whole red chilli
2-3 Sticks cinnamon
1,5 tbsp Cumin powder
2 ts Coriander powder
1,5 ts Garam masala powder
1 ts Kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
400 ml Coconut milk
salt to taste
1 ts Sugar
250 ml Mustard oil
turmeric powder: 1 tbsp to marinate, 2/3 ts in curry
1-2 Green chilli (adjust to taste)
Coriander for garnishing
- Remove the hard shell, do not remove the tail, leave it on.
- Devein the prawn, slit the back a little and take out the black thread.
- Wash the prawns under running tap water. Add turmeric and salt to the prawns.
- Heat oil in Frying an. Lightly fry the prawns so they turn golden in colour, do not deep fry like other fish.
- As soon as the prawns turn a pale golden take them out from the oil and put them on a paper towel
- In the same oil, add whole cumin seed and when it starts cracking add 1 whole cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 4 cardamoms, bay leaves and whole dried red chilli. Coarsely pound the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick with a pestle before adding them.
- Add the chopped garlic and finely sliced onion. Continue frying the onion with a little bit of sugar till it turns brown in colour or the oil separates from the paste. Add chopped tomato and cook until it leaves oil.
- Add the ginger paste and cook the masala.
- Add the salt, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and the kashmiri chilli powder.
- When the masala leaves oil add the prawns and nicely mix the masala.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and when it comes to boiling, simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir and add the can of coconut milk. Add a little water (about 1/3 of the can) in the can, mix well and add it too. Add a little more water if required.
- Add the green chillies. Mix well and cook the gravy. The gravy tastes best when you simmer it a low heat for about another 15 minutes.
- When you see the oil surfacing on the gravy and acquires a creamy consistency, it is ready. Add freshly made garam masala powder, from remaining cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon, in the pestle and add it. For garnishing add little fresh coriander leaf. Serve with white rice or fried rice.
copyright picture : www.tastymalabarfoods.com