- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp. ghee or sunflower oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1- 3 strands of mace (javitri)
- 2 -3 black cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak in water for half an hour. Drain.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom, mace and cinnamon. When cumin seeds crackle, add the rice. Add salt to taste.
- Stir till ghee coats every grain of rice and it looks glossy. Add three cups of water. Bring to a boil. Stir once. Reduce heat to minimum and cover the pan with a lid. Leave a little gap, otherwise water will boil over.
- Rice will be done when holes appear on the surface and water has been completely absorbed. Fork the rice out onto a serving dish. This will separate each grain.