Serving 4 rolls
550 ml rice (Japanese style)
600 ml water
Sushi vinegar (vinegar 6 tbsp., sugar 4 tbsp., 1⁄2 tsp salt)
4 sheets nori
8 shiitake mushrooms (seasoning: 3 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. soya sauce, 2 tbsp. mirin)
4 eggs (seasoning: 3 tbsp. sugar, a pinch of salt)
20 g pickled ginger
Prepare the rice:
- Rinse rice with water, repeat several times until the water becomes clearer;
- Put the rinsed rice and measured water into a pot. Turn on high heat. When boiling lower the heat and leave to cook for 20 min. without taking the lid off;
- While the rice is warm, stir in the sushi vinegar. Do not knead. Keep stirring until it cools down and the wet texture disappears.
Prepare the filling/topping:
- Soak the shiitake in water to soften. Slice into small pieces, then put them in a pan together with 2/3 cup of the soaked water, 3 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. soya sauce, 2 tbsp. mirin. Simmer until the water is reduced;
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, stir with 3 tbsp. of sugar and a pinch of salt. Spread 1/3 of the eggs mixture in a heated flying pan, and fold. Repeat two more times. Cut into four;
- Cut cucumber and ginger into small sticks.
- Spread wrap foil in front of you;
- Take a sheet of nori, place it on the wrap foil. Shiny side down, rough side up;
- Spread the rice evenly on the nori, leaving 5 cm from the edge uncovered with rice;
- Put shiitake, egg, cucumber and ginger in the middle of rice;
- Roll the nori, rice and filling together, then press lightly at the end of the roll;
- Wrap and leave 5-10 min. until it gets settled. Then cut with a wet knife.