Serving 4 rolls
550 ml rice (Japanese style)
600 ml water
Sushi vinegar (vinegar 6 tbsp., sugar 4 tbsp., ½ tsp salt)
4 sheets nori
8 lettuce leaves
1 piece chicken breast (seasoning: 1 tbsp. sake, 2 tbsp. soya sauce, 1 tbsp. mirin, 1 tbsp. sugar)
Prepare the rice:
- Rinse rice with water, repeat several times until the water becomes clearer;
- Put the rinsed rice and measured water into a pot. Turn on high heat. When boiling lower the heat and leave to cook for 20 min. without taking the lid off;
- While the rice is warm, stir in the sushi vinegar. Do not knead. Keep stirring until it cools down and the wet texture disappears.
Prepare the filling/topping:
- Grill both sides of the chicken in a frying pan (optionally add little oil). When mostly cooked, add the seasonings (sake, mirin, sugar and soya sauce) and cook until the water is reduced. Cut into thin sticks;
- Cut the cucumber into sticks. Split the lettuce leaves.
- Spread wrap foil in front of you;
- Take a sheet of nori, place it on the wrap foil. Shiny side down, rough side up;
- Spread the rice evenly on the nori, leaving 5 cm from the edge uncovered with rice;
- Put chicken, cucumber and lettuce in the middle of rice. Add mayonnaise – optional;
- Roll the nori, rice and filling together, then press lightly at the end of the roll;
- Wrap and leave 5-10 min. until it gets settled. Then cut with a wet knife.