Serves 15 pieces
INGREDIENTS: tsp = teaspoon tbsp = tablespoon
1 cup flour
1 cup water
3 large eggs
½ cup butter
1 ts vanilla extract
¼ ts salt
1 cup sugar
1 ts ground cinnamon
4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a large pot around 175 C degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the dough :
- Heat water, butter, vanilla, and salt in a large saucepan. Once the butter is completely melted and the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, stirring and mashing the dough together until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a large star-shaped tip
- Working in batches of 3 to 5, pipe the dough directly into the hot oil using scissors to trim to the desired length.
- Cook until dough puffs and turns golden brown, turning halfway through so all sides evenly cook. (It takes between 2 to 4 minutes).
- Carefully remove churro from oil using tongs and place on a paper towel-covered plate to drain, 1-2 minutes
- Mix sugar and cinnamon and put it into a plane plate.
- Once the churros have cooled enough to handle, coat them well with sugar/cinnamon mixture.