- 500gr frozen uncooked shrimp
- 1 cup of beer
- 1 package 150 gr tempura mix
- 3-4 cups frying oil (rapsolje)
- 10-12 corn tortillas
Chipotle-garlic salsa (makes about ¾ cups)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chiles chipotle en adobo (canned)
- 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce (from canned chipotle)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Spicy slaw (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 cups finely shredded green (or purple) cabbage
- ⅓ cup julienned radishes
- ¼ cup finely sliced onion
- ¼ small jalapeno chili, minced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
Pico de gallo (makes about 2 cups)
- 3 tomatoes seeded and diced into ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ white onion diced into ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ cucumber into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 small jalapeno chili, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about half lime)
- Salt to taste
- Start with the spicy slaw salsa by stirring all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Place in a container with lid. Shake it and let it rest in the fridge until you need it.
- For the pico de gallo. Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- For the chipotle salsa, place the garlic and chipotles in a small food processor and pulse to chop finely, scraping down as needed. Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt and puree until smooth.
- For the shrimp: remove shells and tails and pat dry them.
- To make the tempura mix, follow the instructions in the package: Mix 1 package with 1 cup of beer. Whisk together until you have batter that is the consistency of thick paint.
- Preheat 3-4 cups of oil in a saucepan until it reaches 175C. One at a time, dip the fish sticks into the batter and drop them gently into the oil. Let them cook for 3-4 minutes or until the exterior is turning a darker brown. Depending on the pan, you can cook between 3-5 pieces at a time so that the oil temp remained as close to 175C as possible. Carefully remove the fish sticks from the oil and drain them in some paper towels, continuing until all the fish sticks are cooked.
- Serve with warm tortillas. Place 2 or 3 fish pieces, and salsa on top.