- 1 kg sushi rice
for the vinegar
- 2 ½ cup rice vinegar (or white wine)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sake
- ½ cup salt
- 1 strip kombu
- Wash the rice. Rinse and drain for at least three times; until the water from the rice is clear.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 min.
for “new crop” rice the soaking time can be reduced to 15 mins or even avoided.
- Add rice and water to pot. 1:1 ratio.
for softer rice use 1:1.1 rice:water ratio (10% more water)
- Cook on high heat until the water boils, then reduce to low heat and simmer with the lid on for exactly 10 mins.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside for 10 mins, keep the lid on.
- Transfer rice to a mixing bowl and add seasoning vinegar and mix.
rice:vinegar ratio is 4:1
- Mix with a spicing move. Then set aside and let it cool for 5 mins. Flip over and cool down for 5 more mins.
- Cover the rice and leave until you are ready for sushi making.
If you wait another 20 mins, the rice will be easier to handle.