INGREDIENTS: Tbsp : Tablespoon Ts : Teaspoon
2 cup Toor/Tuvar Daal/arhar dal(washed thoroughly)
1/4 ts asafetida
1 ts turmeric powder
4 tbsp neutral cooking oil (vegetable/canola/sunflower)
1 large onion (chopped fine)
1 medium tomato (chopped fine)
1 tbsp garlic (minced/chopped)
1/2 tbsp ginger paste
2 ts coriander powder
1 ts cumin seeds
1 ts kashmiri red chilli powder
1 ts sambar masala/dal masala (MDH)/Garam masala
7 to 8 curry leaves
2 green chillies (chopped fine) (optional)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- To a pressure cooker add toor dal along with turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 cups water
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles on high heat then lower the heat and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. If using an Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with natural pressure release. Set it aside
- Meanwhile crush 4 large garlic cloves, 1-inch ginger and green chili in a mortar pestle and set it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat neutral cooking oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds & asafetida. Wait for a few seconds until fragrant
- Then add onions, cook for around 3 to 4 minutes until they are soft and start changing colour
- Add the crushed garlic-ginger-green chili. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until raw smell goes away
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix. Cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes until tomatoes are very soft and cooked.
- Then add the coriander powder, garam masala, Kashmiri red chilli powder ( if u have for tempering) , sambar masala/dal masala (MDH)/Garam masala. Stir the spices with the masala for few 30 seconds.
- Add the boiled dal to the pan and mix. I also added 1/2 cup water here as dal looked very thick to me
- Let the dal simmer for 3 to 4 minutes
- Pour the tempering over dal and mix. put coriander leaves (to garnish). Ready to serve.